kwin performance gets worse and worse with every release

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jun 30 21:39:23 BST 2011

Kevin Krammer posted on Thu, 30 Jun 2011 12:38:02 +0200 as excerpted:

> The s/dri\.conf/drirc/g quoted earlier basically boils down to
>
> "Search for dri.conf and replace with drirc everwhere it is encountered
> in the input"

Yes.  And (I can say this since it's myself I'm putting down) to some
extent, choosing to use the sed "substitute, for dri.conf, drirc,
globally" (literal left-to-right translation of the clauses), instead of
the plain English, "Oops, make that drirc instead of dri.conf", is a way
of saying "Yes, I made this mistake, but I'm not /really/ as foolish as
it makes me look, because see, I can use '133+ regex'!" =:^P

Of course, "s/dri\.conf/drirc/g" is also much shorter and cooler looking
than a whole plain English sentence to the same effect, so it's not
/entirely/ the above, there's a practical aspect to the conciseness as
well (something regulars I'm sure will agree I can usually use more of,
but that's the problem, when I try, it ends up /too/ much so and there's
inevitably a subthread having to explain it!), so it's really a bit of
both.