kwin performance gets worse and worse with every release

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Wed Jun 29 21:22:36 BST 2011

On 06/29/2011 10:47 PM, Kim Leyendecker wrote:
> Am 29.06.2011 15:19, schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
>> There are no effects (minimizing, present windows, etc) with compositing
>> turned off, so there can be no comparison.
>>
>> Moving windows around is fast and smooth in both cases.  It's
>> compositing animations that have become very slow.  When I enable the
>> Show FPS effect, the FPS goes down to 40 when I trigger an animation.
>
> I havenĀ“t read the whole thread yet, but from my recent point of
> knowledge, I would encourage you to have a look at the driver you use
> for your hardware. Check them and please post it here, maybe this helps.

Did so in another post (I'm using a Radeon HD4870 with the open source
drivers.)

I was able to find a tweak that makes kwin usable again though.  I had
to create a ~/.drirc file and put this in there:

   <driconf>
     <device screen="0" driver="dri2">
         <application name="Default">
             <option name="vblank_mode" value="0" />
         </application>
     </device>
   </driconf>

The "driconf" utility doesn't work; the above has to be created by hand.

Also, the "VSync" option in System Settings must be unchecked.  Both of
these things must be performed; if only the .drirc file is created, or
only the VSync checkbox is unchecked, then kwin will keep being slow.

It should be noted that the desktop is still tear-free after doing the
above.