Where is konsole in kde-windows? (2011)

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 16:33:45 BST 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:04 PM, Burkhard Lück <lueck at hube-lueck.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 27. Juni 2011, um 15:48:04 schrieb John McCabe-Dansted:
>> Hi, I think this question was last asked in 2008. Apparently Konsole
>> has been ported since 2009, but I still can't find it. I installed
>> kdewin (4.5.4, MSVC2010 64bit iirc), and I can't find Konsole.exe.
>> Apparently it is meant to be in kdebase, but I have already installed
>> kdebase. I also cannot find Konsole.exe in any of
>>   kdebase-apps-vc100-4.5.4-bin.tar.bz2
>>   kdebase-runtime-vc100-4.5.4-bin.tar.bz2
>>   kdebase-workspace-vc100-4.5.4-1-bin.tar.bz2
>>
>> So, how can I find Konsole.exe?
>
> There is none so far, reason is here:
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-windows/2011-April/005827.html

Thanks, that link helped. I didn't realise that hooking into cmd.exe
was the cause of many of Console2's problems and that running bash
directly, avoiding cmd.exe, fixed some of the problems with console2.
Console2 is still a bit of a shock coming from Linux where we have the
choice of lxterminal, gnome-terminal and konsole, all of which
basically work perfectly. AFAICT even apparently trivial stuff, like
the maximise button, doesn't work right in Console2.

I don't understand the following press release : "July 2nd, 2009 :
First release candidate of KDE 4.3 for Windows available ... This
release also provides some snapshots of unstable applications:
Konsole, ..." from http://windows.kde.org/news.php

Does this mean that KDE 4.3 had Konsole (but was removed in 4.5)?

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted