Konsole for KDE on Windows

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Tue Apr 26 09:56:24 CEST 2011

Hi,

Am Montag, 25. April 2011 00:02:58 schrieb Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański:
> I download latest KDE for Windows and found that
> Konsole is not present. What worse  Cygwin abandoned KDE4 to make space for
> native port. Do you have plan of add Konsole? I think it might bring many
> new user to the project and for me it's 'critical bug'.

Konsole is much requested on Windows, but what most people really want is bash
(the linux shell on Windows) Konsole is just a frontend for the shell where
on Linux you have bash or sh running. Since we do not have such a shell under
Windows and the shell there is quite different and not easy to hook into (i
think SaroEngels did some experiments on that) there is no way to do a "port"
of what people come to love on linux systems as Konsole. There could be
Konsole for the windows cmd shell but thats a task that no one took up so far
and it will have the same limitations as the windows shell.

Some of us use:
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_on_Windows/Tools#Console_2

If you combine this with cygwin/bin in your PATH variable you can get a quite
usable shell environment. (Although not as nice as on GNU/Linux systems of
course ;) )

Regards,
Andre

--