Building kdelibs

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 18:10:55 BST 2011

> FWIW, I'm a Gentooer.  Gentoo builds from source using buildscripts
> called ebuilds that list required dependencies and handle optional
> dependencies using what Gentoo calls USE flags.
>
> As a result, I've been able to help a number of people trying to build kde
> manually by simply querying the Gentoo build system for kde's various
> dependencies.  One guy (James Tyrer) in particular runs Linux from
> Scratch, and builds KDE for it as updates come out, updating their KDE
> documentation for others as he does so.  I've been able to help him
> resolve missing dependencies on a number of occasions.
>
> That leaves you with a number of potentially useful resources to choose
> from.  Of course you could switch to Gentoo if you like, and get most of
> the building automated thru the various scripts without losing a whole
> lot since they still expose most of the build-time options as USE flags.
> But even if you're not doing Gentoo, you can either post questions here
> and I can check dependencies, or you could download a Gentoo build tree
> and check them yourself, or simply check their sources on the web.
>
> Alternatively and probably easier to follow as the basics will already
> have been distilled into a reasonably nice set of instructions to follow,
> you can find and follow the LFS kde building instructions as maintained
> by James Tyrer, with the caveat that as every minor version (4.5, 4.6,
> 4.7...) comes out, it takes some days/weeks for their build instructions
> to be fully updated.
>
> FWIW, the gentoo/kde project has live builds that they try to keep in
> sync with kde upstream, so most of the updates are already understood
> when an update comes out, it's just a matter of actually transferring
> them from the live build scripts to the specific version scripts.  Given
> that kde makes the new tarballs available to the various distributions
> several days before public release, by public release, the scripts are
> generally already updated in the gentoo/kde project overlay, which I
> follow, and moved to the general kde tree within another week or so after
> final testing... kde sometimes updates one of the tarballs after release
> to the distributions so the final checksums need to be updated, etc.  So
> they move to the general kde tree pretty fast, tho unmasking to arch-
> testing can take a bit longer and moving to full stable can take months
> -- they just stabilized 4.6.2, before which the latest gentoo kde stable
> was 4.4.5, IIRC.  But the initial masked-for-testing ebuilds are
> generally in the gentoo/kde overlay before upstream public release, and
> in the main gentoo tree within days of release.
>
> James, the LFS guy, doesn't appear to follow the pre-releases or live-
> builds, so he's typically some days to weeks behind Gentoo's move of the
> build-scripts to the general tree.  I believe he tends to finally get the
> 4.x.0 instructions up about time kde upstream 4.x.1 comes out a month
> [...]
Duncan,

I am on RHEL. I am getting this when configuring kdelibs using kdesrc-build:

CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are
set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake
files:
DBUSMENUQT_INCLUDE_DIR (ADVANCED)
   used as include directory in directory /home/ddoria/kdesrc/kdelibs/kdeui
   used as include directory in directory
/home/ddoria/kdesrc/kdelibs/kdeui/about
   used as include directory in directory
/home/ddoria/kdesrc/kdelibs/kdeui/tests
   used as include directory in directory
/home/ddoria/kdesrc/kdelibs/kdeui/tests/kconfig_compiler
   used as include directory in directory
/home/ddoria/kdesrc/kdelibs/kdeui/tests/proxymodeltestsuite
   used as include directory in directory
/home/ddoria/kdesrc/kdelibs/kdeui/tests/proxymodeltestapp
   used as include directory in directory
/home/ddoria/kdesrc/kdelibs/kdeui/sonnet/tests
DBUSMENUQT_LIBRARIES (ADVANCED)
    linked by target "kdeui" in directory /home/ddoria/kdesrc/kdelibs/kdeui

I installed dbus* but that didn't seem to help.

Any thoughts?

David