Konsole: split view show the same screen twice

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 16 16:24:13 BST 2011

Dotan Cohen wrote, On 06/16/2011 05:34 AM:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 14:01, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> It sounds to me that you are referring to tabs, Anne, not to split.
>>> Take a look at View -> Split View.
>>>
>> No, I'm not.  I don't use this facility myself, it was explained to me as I
>> describe.  The terminal linked to dolphin displays a terminal rooted at the
>> directory in the active pane.  Have you tried that?
>>

> Thanks, but I am not referring to the terminal in Dolphin. I use it,
> but right now I'm referring to the terminal in Konsole.
>
> In Konsole, one can split the view but both views show the same thing.
> If one performs cd on one side, then the other side does the same.
> This seems completely useless, I need to split to show different
> terminals, just as in Dolphin one can split the view to show different
> directories.
>
> Thanks.

Dotan,

If i understand you correctly, this works fine for me on KDE 4.4.5 (Debian Squeeze).

In a konsole open two tabs
Do Split View (Shift-Ctrl-T, i think)

Then in one split pane, click one of the konsole tabs, in the other split
pane click the other tab.  You should now be seeing a konsole split in two
with the top pane showing one tab/session and the bottom pane showing the
other.

They should be independent.

So, the two primary uses for split view that i see are:

1)  viewing separate sections of a single context at the same time
    (where both/all split panes are viewing the same tab/session
2)  comparative assessment of output in multiple tab/sessions
    (e.g. each tab is an ssh session to a different machine.

In that latter mode you can select:
   Edit->Copy Input To->All Tabs in Current Window
to duplicate what you type into those multiple ssh sessions to
see what the command results in in all those sessions simultaneously.
(this is probably only scalable to 3-6 sessions depending on your
monitor size).  (though in a quick test of this, it seemed buggy,
not actually working the first time, and if i selected it in BOTH
tabs, it was duplicating in the other (e.g. 'ls' in one tab resulted
in 'llss' in the other.  i got it working, but it seems a bit "iffy")

btw, 'pdsh' from LLNL in "interactive mode" is a MUCH better tool
for that kind of thing, though each command doesn't retain context
of previous commands, e.g. "cd".  And pdsh | dshbak -c is even
better still for scalability of comparative output as it collects
output that is identical and gathers it into a single entry with
all the hosts that provided that response to the requested command.
(great for comparing OS patch revs, version of software, etc)

--stephen