Low maximum volume with pulseaudio on kde

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jun 16 01:33:06 BST 2011

Sérgio Basto posted on Wed, 15 Jun 2011 23:04:26 +0100 as excerpted:

> 3rd - run on user env:
> pulseaudio -vvv
>
> lets test with kmix I see on pulseaudio logs at maximum :
>
> D: alsa-sink.c: Requested volume: 0: 100% 1: 100%
> D: alsa-sink.c: Got hardware volume: 0: 100% 1: 100%
> D: alsa-sink.c: Calculated software volume: 0: 100% 1: 100%
> (accurate-enough=yes)
>
> with gnome-control-center -> sound I see on pulseaudio logs at maximum :
>
> D: protocol-native.c: Client gnome-control-center changes volume of sink
> alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.
> D: alsa-sink.c: Requested volume: 0: 153% 1: 153%
> D: alsa-sink.c: Got hardware volume: 0: 100% 1: 100%
> D: alsa-sink.c: Calculated software volume: 0: 153% 1: 153%
> (accurate-enough=no)
>
> so how I put kmix also control "software volume" ?
> thanks,

FWIW, the messages are coming in, but I don't do pulse-audio at all so
can't help with it, my main machine plays (digital output, kmix doesn't
do anything anyway) thru my home 5.1 system so has plenty of volume, and
while my netbook sound is a bit soft, I'm not using it enough for that to
have worried about it.

So at least here, not much I can suggest...  As it seems I'm one of the
more active regulars as well as one of the more technically inclined
regulars, unfortunately, the lack of response could well mean no one else
has a clue either.

Meanwhile, while I don't know much about pulse audio, I do know a bit
about audio in general and computer audio in general, and it seems to me
that if pulse can be set to further boost volume in software, as we see
gnome doing, there's a good chance that you can configure it to do so by
default, regardless of the client used to control it.  But you'll likely
have more luck researching either the pulse documentation or googling it,
or asking on the pulse-audio lists or forums, which I presume they have
tho I've no real idea, personally.  Barring someone stepping up here
right away with more info, that's where I'd be looking next.  Try googling
on the three terms "linux pulse gain" (without the quotes as that would
try to match those specific words in that specific order).

I hope you find a working solution.