Dolphin: quickly switch panes?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Jun 14 20:14:16 BST 2011

Dotan Cohen posted on Tue, 14 Jun 2011 21:51:14 +0300 as excerpted:

> I often use the split-view in Dolphin. Is there a quick way to switch
> between the active pane in the split view with the keyboard? I have
> trouble using the mouse and so far as I can see the only way to switch
> with the keyboard is with 6 or 7 tabs. A simple something-Tab (like
> Ctrl-Tab to switch tabs) would help. I searched in the keyboard
> shortcuts config but did not find anything relevant.

I'm not an avid Dolphin user (preferring mc in konsole, for most things),
but for what I can see, the split-view feature is designed pretty much
for mouse-interaction only.

If I want a second view I can keyboard-switch to, and I AM using dolphin,
I open a second dolphin window.

Another alternative I've never even had installed but I've read about as
a reasonable dual-pane kde file manager, is krusader.  If I used kde's
file management more than trivially, I'd definitely be trying that, but
mc's what I use for major file management, or gwenview for image
management, so dolphin only gets trivial usage, in which a single pane
browser along with the tree view and places, is quite enough.  And in
kde3 it was konqueror filling the same trivial role.  So I've never
bothered to try krusader.  Maybe someday...