Strange startup...

J janus at magicstar.net
Mon Jun 6 13:05:32 BST 2011

KDE 4.6.x

Since I HAVE to edit the settings on the panel to get things to fix, I suspect
you are correct about kwin.  Since I have it at the top of the screen, I would
think it is already set to a fixed location.  Top, centered, and maximized are
the settings I have for it.

> However, if you're running 4.6.2 or 4.6.3, a lot of users are having
> problems ATM due to some patches gone awry.  The problem is usually kwin
> getting mixed up and trying to treat the panels as normal windows, so it's
> usually panels not the plasmoids on them, but it's possible the plasmoids
> are getting placed strangely due to the strange panel handling in some
> instances as well.
>
> If you're running one of those two versions, try setting up a window rule
> (I had to experiment a bit to get mine to take) either setting no
> placement for the window, or forcing its absolute position.  If you can
> get the rule to override the screwups kwin is doing with it's normal
> handling, you may be fine -- I was.

How does one set a rule?  I'm fairly new to the inner workings of KDE.