Link (impossibly generic systemsettings and system monitor): GNOME & KDE Developers Go To Battle Over A Name

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Jul 26 11:38:35 BST 2011

Kevin Krammer posted on Tue, 26 Jul 2011 10:58:55 +0200 as excerpted:

> It is less a matter of shipping system level configuration modules as
> part of a KDE product release (though there are some that can suitably
> implemented across distributions/platforms), but more about providing
> the infrastructure for integration of distribution/platform specific
> tools.
>
> The general idea was that users would have a central point of access for
> changing settings, similar to what known proprietary platforms have.
> Unfortunately but understandably differentiation needs between vendors
> makes providing distinctly recognizable system configuration tools a
> higher priority than integration.

What about taking John Woodhouse's idea, going the full distance and
simply calling it...

Settings

...?  That gets rid of the the "system settings that aren't system"
problem entirely, while still enabling distros to add their own non-kde-
related kcms, etc, if desired?

If we're going hopelessly generic, run with it!  The damage is already
done, so we might as well go the full distance and eliminate the other
problems of trying to qualify what the settings are, as well.

Either that or go back to a clearly kde name, and let system settings
appear somewhere else, keeping the concepts separate.

But I really like his idea.  So simple and powerful.  The only thing
wrong with it, if the aim is indeed to "genericize" things, is I didn't
think of it first! =:^)