Link (impossibly generic systemsettings and system monitor): GNOME & KDE Developers Go To Battle Over A Name

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Jul 26 09:58:55 BST 2011

On Sunday, 2011-07-24, Duncan wrote:

> One thing that was pointed out on the thread (by a gnome guy, AFAIK, but
> I believe he was right) is that kde-anything (and by extension k-
> anything) rather short-circuits the big kde software collection or
> whatever it is they call it (kde-sc, but I never remember what the "c"
> is, collection, collaboration, some such) rebranding, where kde doesn't
> stand for K desktop environment any longer (I've read that the K was for
> Kool at one point, but that predates me), but rather, the project behind
> it, with the "software collection" or whatever it is being the primary
> common output of the project.

I don't think that's related.
Getting rid of the k-something notation predates the clarification of product
names and not matter which of the products a program created by KDE belongs to
it is a KDE program.

> Another argument that I believe I've seen is that some distributions
> wanted to include their own kcms (kcontrol modules, BTW, and last I
> checked, /that/ bit hadn't changed) for (real) system settings.
>
> But that doesn't hold water here because (1), that's not what kde ships,
> nor does it really make a lot of sense for kde to try to ship distro-
> specific system tools, so (2) distros can and some actually are or were
> with 3.x already renaming it, as part of their customizations, and that's
> hardly a reason in itself to change upstream kde, when it's not system
> settings as they ship it.

It is less a matter of shipping system level configuration modules as part of
a KDE product release (though there are some that can suitably implemented
across distributions/platforms), but more about providing the infrastructure
for integration of distribution/platform specific tools.

The general idea was that users would have a central point of access for
changing settings, similar to what known proprietary platforms have.
Unfortunately but understandably differentiation needs between vendors makes
providing distinctly recognizable system configuration tools a higher priority
than integration.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring