KDEPIM 4.6 prob^Wimpressions

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jul 22 15:24:28 BST 2011

Alex Schuster posted on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 15:09:43 +0200 as excerpted:

>> Meanwhile, I /have/ noticed that kded, etc, occasionally don't die when
>> I logout of kde as my user, when I'd expect them to.  That usually
>> doesn't cause much issue, tho I've configured a kde-shutdown script to
>> shut down those things that I've noticed, automatically via the script,
>> since often, when I'm shutting down and then restarting kde it's
>> because I just upgraded stuff and want to use the new versions.  But if
>> the old ones don't quit, lib_users (a script that reports apps using
>> libraries that have been deleted, etc, it's in portage...) tells me
>> they're still using the old and otherwise deleted files instead of the
>> new ones.  So since I'm often shutting down to restart with the new
>> ones anyway, having the shutdown script automatically stop the kde
>> stuff that wants to stay running when kde shuts down, so when I restart
>> kde, it uses the upgraded versions, saves me from having to manually
>> stop the processes every time.
>
> Would you mind sharing the script? I also kill those processes
> sometimes,
> but manually, just in case they are making trouble.

Just two lines including the shebang, actually...  I used -INT as it
ignored the default -TERM, but NOT -INT.

#!/bin/bash
killall -INT kded4

It's in $KDEHOME/shutdown/ and should be named with a .sh extension,
according to the instructions in kcontrol's autostart/stop module.  Here,
I simply named it kill.kded4.sh .

killall simply sends the requested signal to all processes with the given
name (that permissions will let it send to, of course).  So if it were
run as root, it'd kill all kded4 processes, but I only run it as a user
so it only kills the ones for that user.

As for kded4 and knotify4 running as root, yes, it might be kdm (which I
don't run, I login at the CLI and run startx with the XSESSION var
pointed at the kde session script) or it might be due to going
administrator mode in kcontrol (which I don't tend to do either).  You
might try checking the PPID to see what the parent is, altho you'd need
to check it when the parent was still around, obviously, or it'll just
show the reparent to init, as usual for children that survive the death
of their parent.