Plasma hangs, could not log in

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jul 21 06:14:26 BST 2011

GROUP gmane.linux.gentoo.portage.devel
	9996aa7 branch-master)

Alex Schuster posted on Thu, 21 Jul 2011 00:14:13 +0200 as excerpted:

> BTW: I had some trouble sending this mail, it was stuck in the outbox. I
> got all kinds of weird messages (SMTP server does not support PLAIN, no
> connection to KDE-wallet, and others). I restarted KMail, I restarted
> Akonadi, I logged out and in again... but only when Thunderbird showed
> similar symptoms, I checked if something was wrong with the IMAP server.
> And it was indeed, it had a load of 550. KDE was not to blame, but I'm
> so used to KMail probelms now, it did not come to my mind that the
> problem was elsewhere...

That's an interesting coincidence, because the last message I tried to
send (using pan, to gmane) here stuck, too, with some very strange
complaint about not being able to write to a log, no space left on device.

So I immediately figured that strigi had somehow started indexing again
and hogged all the space on my home partition.

Only thing was, the home partition has gigs left, and I don't run quotas
locally so that couldn't be it either.

But looking at pan's error log again, I saw that the error was a gmane
error.

So I tried hitting download new headers to see if it would clear.  Things
got even weirder then.  1500+ new messages in the gentoo-dev group/list,
but when I checked them, all but one were from 2002!

Further, loading a couple of the messages, it was very clear that the
sequencing was off-by-one.  The subject for one message applied to the
body content of the next (or previous, IDR which).

Apparently it rather confused pan too, as shortly after that, it crashed.

I restarted it and now get to see if this post works.  But it looks like
by some very strange coincidence, gmane has some very strange problems at
just the same time you do, on an entirely different server, for mail, not
news.

Unless gmane and your IMAP server are both experiencing problems due to
some horrible issue at the kde listserv (unlikely, but possible since
both your message and mine were to kde lists), the coincidence is just
that, but an interesting one it is, none-the-less.

(Now, snapshot this to pan's drafts folder before I try to send this, in
case gmane is still having indigestion...)