OT Language (was Re: lost Desktop)

Jerry kde.user at seibercom.net
Fri Jul 15 21:06:39 BST 2011

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 19:44:20 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan articulated:

> Anne Wilson posted on Fri, 15 Jul 2011 16:39:57 +0100 as excerpted:
> > We have two types of adjustable spanner (not sure if both types are
> > still available) - one that is adjusted by thumbing a wheel, and the
> > other has separate jars, which are adjusted by putting in a pin,
> > rather like a belt buckle.  I've never known what that one was
> > called.  I think they are not made any more, but David, my husband,
> > still likes that one for some jobs.  Is that similar to your
> > crescent wrench, or something different?
> The crescent wrench has a thumb-wheel (apparently often called a
> Bahco in parts of Europe, see the trademark note and the leaflet link
> at the bottom of the page).  See the two illustrations a the top
> right, here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crescent_wrench
> That page also has an illustration of an "English key", and older
> design not as common today, at least in the US.  This one is said to
> be the original "monkey wrench" design.
> There's a couple other variants on the same thing as well.  A "pipe 
> wrench" (Wikipedia says Stillson's, in UK/AU) is one:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_wrench
> There's also the "plumber's wrench", which is a cross between a pair
> of pliers and a an "English key".  These aren't common in the US, but
> I found one at I think one of the dollar stores (Vietnamese run I
> think, possibly the reason they had them) and bought it.  Most such
> buys are worthless, breaking almost immediately, but I hadn't seen
> this type myself before, so I was interested and thought I'd try it.
> It turned out to be surprisingly sturdy for a buck, but did
> eventually break.  Had I known about them, I might have bought
> several (especially for a buck each! ) as it turned out to be quite
> useful and I was rather disappointed when it finally broke.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumber_wrench
> But I don't see anything illustrated with a pin-based design and I
> don't recognize the description.  If you could find some sort of
> illustration, I'd love to see it. =:^)

You couldn't be referring to a "monkey wrench: could you?


Jerry ✌
KDE.user at seibercom.net

Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or get ignored.
Please do not ignore the Reply-To header.

This message is from the kde mailing list.
Account management:  https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde.
Archives: http://lists.kde.org/.
More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.

More information about the kde mailing list