KDE screen edge actions not working

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jul 8 23:34:50 BST 2011

CS DBA posted on Fri, 08 Jul 2011 13:11:18 -0600 as excerpted:

> I found today that my screen edge settings for things like show all
> desktops, desktop grid, etc no longer work. I dont use it very often so
> I cannot say when it stopped working. The "maximize window by dragging
> to the top of the screen" does still work if I enable it (however I
> dislike this feature so I have it disabled), but I would like the
> corners to show me the desktop grid & such....
>
> I'm running Fedora 14

Please always list your kde version as well as distro and distro
version.  People on other distros often have no clue what kde ships with
some other arbitrary distro and distro version, and/or whether they
update from what's shipped or not, and whether those updates are on the
regular update repo or if some other repo must be configured to get them.

FWIW, I'm on gentoo ~amd64 running the kde overlay, with my last sync on
July 6, but I expect that means as little to you as fedora 14 means to
me, in terms of specific kde version.  But basically that says I keep
pretty close to the latest upstream release.  I'm on kde 4.6.4 currently,
but the 4.6.5 upgrade is probably waiting for me when I sync as it has
been out from kde for a couple days.  (But I've been debating skipping
4.6.5 and trying a 4.7 pre-release, or waiting for 4.7.0 release,
instead.)

To the problem:

I'm guessing that you may have disabled the effects in question (or
possibly all effects are disabled) in desktop effects, so the configured
screen-edges triggers do nothing.  Note that there are hotkey triggers,
too.  Do they do anything?

Check desktop effects in kcontrol. (Umm... systemsettings, except that
most of the settings found there aren't systemsettings at all, but
rather, user-specific kde settings.  If they were systemsettings, they'd
apply to all users, and on gnome sessions as well as kde sessions, as
well as at the command line, if the option applied outside of X.  So the
kde3 term kcontrol remains much more accurate than the kde4 term
systemsettings, and I prefer to use the accurate term even if it means a
note like this in every post where I mention it, which is a lot of posts,
on a kde troubleshooting list!)

In the desktop effects module, verify that effects are enabled on the
general tab, and that opengl is selected on the advanced tab.  (Some
hardware may only work with xrender, but most effects require opengl, so
if xrender is all that works, many effects won't do anything at all.)
Then, on the all effects tab, verify that desktop grid, etc, are
enabled.  If you click on the configure (spanner/wrench) icon, you can
see what the associated hotkey combos are and change them, if desired.
That allows you to check whether the effect works with a trigger,
independent of the screen-edges trigger.