disable fx prior to first 4.6 startups

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Thu Jul 7 21:54:19 BST 2011

Am Donnerstag, 7. Juli 2011, 16:44:59 schrieb Felix Miata:

> I've done several new installations lately, openSUSE 11.4 and Kubuntu
> 11.04, all on i865G video, in each case doing system updates (to e.g.
> 4.6.4) prior to first X start. All have been very difficult to get into
> anything after starting X, including systemsettings to turn off the
> broken desktop FX. Phantom windows come and go, including main menu &
> panel & clock settings, How on further i865G installations can I
> configure a system globally to disable desktop FX by default? Will it be
> the same for 4.7?

I'm not sure if I understand this right... so the active desktop effects
mess up everything, and it is even hard to start systemsettings and turn
them off?

Try Alt+Shift+F12, this toggles the desktop effects. I use it on a PC (not
my own desktop, at least one problem that _I_ do not run into) where all
plasma stuff is just black, including the panel, so I cannot open the K menu
or call krunner. This happened after the upgrade from 4.6.2 to to 4.6.3,
4.6.4 is not installed there yet. Could also be the X.org update that
happened along the KDE update.
You can also edit ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc, and set Enabled=false in the
[Compositing] section.

	Wonko