A week of KDE4 usage

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Jul 4 18:12:51 BST 2011

On Monday, 2011-07-04, Alex Schuster wrote:
> Kevin Krammer writes:
> > On Saturday, 2011-07-02, Alex Schuster wrote:
> > > BTW, ordinary users here means people who often do not speak English.
> > > The German localization misses a lot, so KDE 4 is not right for them.
> > > Is KDE 4 meant to be for these people? I'm not sure.
> >
> > Hmm, using KDE localized for German myself I can't really agree with
> > this. Do you have an example of something not being translated properly?
>
> Sorry, no. Since 4.6.3, nearly all my KDE applications suddenly are in
> English. An exception is systemsettings, although the applications in it
> are English again. The K menu also has German entries, and the KDE Help
> Center has most stuff in German. Must be some bug because kde-l10n is
> installed, and German is set as application language in the help menu. I
> don't care much, let's wait and see if 4.7 will correct this.
>
> Before 4.6.3, most things were German, but sometimes dialogs were not. But
> no, I can't remember any specific ones.

Strange. I am always using German localization myself and have never seen this
before.
Had been using 4.4.10 until about last week, now on 4.6.4 and still everything
translated just fine.

> > Do by any chance run something Ubuntu based and using their language
> > packages?
>
> No, Gentoo.

Ah. Might not be valid anymore anyway, but at some point Ubuntu (and its
variants) had really bad translations due to them being "fixed" through merges
from Canonical's online translation platform.
Nice for small programs but borderline to diasterous for software from big
projects like KDE or GNOME.

Since Debian packages seem to work just fine it could be either a packaging or
configuration issue. Does this happen for all user accounts? Also new ones?

> > > Gnome works fine, but I did not use much of it. Networkmanager is a
> > > pain, and I had a hard time setting up WLAN. This was not very user
> > > friendly.
> >
> > Interesting, I always found NetworkManager to be quite easy, at least
> > when the WLAN is broadcasting its ESSID (which most of them do).
> > Mostly using WPA though, had to experiment a bit when doing WPA-PSK, but
> > work also from UI (i.e. no file editing required).
>
> I have never used WLAN with Linux before, and I hoped that it would
> automagically work.

It usually does. My laptop has had its fair share of unencrypted, WEP, WPA and
even one WPA-PSK networks, all quite simple through network manager.
Occasionally even mobile broadband (though I prefer PPP tools there for fine
tuning some options).

> The interfaces came up, but when I tried to connect, I
> was asked for the WEP password. Some notice that my WLAN drivers were not
> capable of WPA would have been nice, I did not know what was the problem.
> Or a list of the interfaces capabilities.
> I still do not understand why a PCMCIA card did not work, that worked out
> of the box with an earlier Ubuntu Version. After I flashed the internal
> card, WPA suddenly worked.

Ah, I have a nicely supported integrated Intel Wireless 3945. Might be
different with plug&play hardware.

> But the interface often does not come up after resuming from suspend to RAM
> or disk. Sometimes the connection also drops during normal usage. I get a
> notification that the interface is down, but NetworkManager still shows it
> as up. I have to manually disconnect and then connect again.

Ah, strange.
I have seen drops but then the interface was really gone on all levels.
Reconnect after resume (from standby) works every single day (my laptop
suspends to RAM every evening and is resumed every morning).

> I also did not find a
> quick way to turn it off altogether, I would prefer the interface to be up
> all the time, even if no one is logged in.

Permanent connections can usually be configured by whatever system the
distribution uses for networking.
Definitely works with Debian's networking/interfaces, with either
NetworkManager stopped or not installed.

NetworkManager even has support for getting some configurated networks that
ways, but I haven't tried that option myself yet. Will likely also depend on
some distribution specific plugin and might not be supported on Gentoo.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring