Anyone know how to figure out what packages Kaffeine3 really depends on?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Jul 4 04:15:42 BST 2011

Felix Miata posted on Sun, 03 Jul 2011 21:55:28 -0400 as excerpted:

> On openSUSE 11.4 I want Kaffeine to be able to directly play isos made
> from DVDs. Is this possible? If so, what does it take? I tried to have
> YaST2 install it, but it wants to install kitchen sinks, bathtubs and
> garages as well, and I don't want to be constantly updating lebenty
> bazillion Packman things never used, nor wasting disk space on them.
>
> I have win32codecs, libavcodecs, libxine1-codecs, libdvdcss2 &
> mpeg2demux &
> its 3 *boost* deps installed. The fault window is currently complaining
> about missing demux, but also saying found input plugin without naming
> whatever it is.

Kaffeine3?  Where'd you get that version number?  The latest both on the
site (kaffeine.kde.org) and here on gentoo is 1.2.2 (released 2011.04.17,
1.2.0 was 2011.04.04).

Or do you mean the last kde3-based release, 0.8.8 (released 2009.05.23)?

I gave up on kaffeine when it was still beta for kde4 and lacking all
sorts of features that were in the kde3 version, late in the kde 4.2 or
early in the 4.3 era, when kde had dropped support for kde3, despite the
fact that kde4 was still clearly beta at best (despite their claim to the
contrary), but I still switched as 3.5.10 was the last version they were
doing and 3.5 simply wasn't supported any longer (again, despite very
public promises to the contrary, that it would be supported as long as
there were users!).

I needed a decent non-kde3-based media player as I was removing kde3 from
my system, and kaffeine clearly wasn't it, at that point, as it was
basically the same as the low-feature built-in dragonplayer, etc.

So I switched to the mplayer- and qt4-based smplayer, which I've been
quite happy with BTW and which if anything, has even MORE features than
kaffeine for kde3 did.  I was just playing DVDs straight off the ISO
image (I have them saved to my computer) to test some graphics config
changes the other day, and I've played the physical DVDs themselves
before as well, tho not nearly as recently.

That said, here's what the gentoo kaffeine-1.2.2 ebuild lists for
dependencies, in addition to tho normal kde4 deps (thus including qt, X,
etc, as well as kdelibs and solid), of course.

libXScrnSaver
>=xine-lib-1.1.18.1

That's it.

Of course xine-lib pulls in all sorts of codec dependencies based on the
USE flags (on optional deps, Gentoo normally lets the user choose at
build-time, via what Gentoo calls USE flags).

However, there's only non-optional depends for xine (beyond X, and plus
some only used for building, since gentoo's build-from-sources).

ffmpeg
libiconv

But it's the optional depends that kill in this case.  There's a whole
slew of them, based on a whole slew of different USE flags.  However, as
with many packages, if xine-lib is built against them, they tend to be
required at runtime too (tho some of the codecs may not be).

ffmpeg deps, in turn, are similar to xine's, a huge list of optional deps,
but for it I actually see NO required deps (beyond those in system and
thus not listed, and make as a build-only dep).

But one of the things about binary distros is that a lot of the depends
are optional at build-time but if built with them, the package requires
them at runtime as well.  And binary distros tend to build in support for
nearly everything possible in most cases (with the exception of patent
encumbered codecs, etc, sometimes), so in turn require all sorts of run-
time dependencies that were linked at build-time so are required to run.
That's one of the bonuses of a from-source system like Gentoo's, the user
gets to choose the optional deps because they build the packages, tho
Gentoo pretty much automates the process with ebuilds, so all the user
ends up having to do is set the general USE flags they want if they apply
to a package, and if they want different for an individual package,
change it for that specific package only.  So the system doesn't tend to
have all that extra cruft unless you choose to enable it, in which case
it's not "cruft" any more because you've specifically chosen it,
presumably because you specifically want it.

If you want me to list all the optional and build-time deps, I can, but
you asked about actual non-optional deps, so that's what I listed,
skipping the build-time deps since you're on a binary distro.