Sound HDA Intel (Analog Devices AD1981) doesn't work with phonon anymore?

Johannes Schaub (litb) schaub.johannes at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 29 09:12:01 GMT 2011

Starting some months ago, KDE's phonon doesn't work with my soundcard
anymore. For example, instead of showing the usual 9 mixer channels I'm
shown with alsamixer (Master, PCM, CD, Mic, Mic Boost, etc), kmix shows only
one weird "Internal Audio Analog Stereo" channel, where I have no clue what
this means.

I tried to look into the phonon settings (systemsettings). But when I open
it, it sometimes shows a message box saying "Some Soundcards were removed
from your system. KDE thinks it's save to remove these from consideration
for future.". I have no clue what this means.

My soundcard works fine with all alsa apps, and I have no problems with it.
But phonon insists it's not there. What's wrong?