Are parallel KDE sessions safe?

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Sat Jan 29 12:55:33 GMT 2011

Hi there!

Is it okay to run two or more parallel KDE sessions with the same user?

Our multimedia PC runs KDE4 now, but the only display is a TV, and
things are not so easy to read. So I configured the desktop by starting
KDE4 via FreeNX from another PC. But what when I the same user is already
logged in? Can strange things happen if I make changes to KDE settings,
maybe even config file inconsistency or corruption, when both KDEs store
different settings?

At my institute I also sometimes use KDE, from different computers that all
share the same /home, so the question arises there, too.

I guess it should be safe, because KDE does not warn me when I log in twice,
except for things like kontact that do not want to be running multiple
times. It would be nice if that were possible BTW, I often would like to
start my desktop PC's kontact from my notebook without having to kill the
running one first.

KDE3 had an option to start a VNC server, but I did not find this
feature in KDE4. Or did I just overlook it? This way there would be no need
to start a whole 2nd KDE session.

	Wonko