Disabling plasma desktop background

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Jan 20 16:22:19 GMT 2011

On Thursday, 2011-01-20, Stephen Kell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can I turn off the plasma desktop background (i.e. the window that gets
> mapped over the root window) without killing plasma?
>
> I want to use plasma mainly for the applets like knetworkmanager, and
> don't want to lose access to my plain old X11 root window.  I tried
> "remove this desktop activity" but in the case of the desktop background
> it appears to do nothing. This is in KDE 4.4.2 (Ubuntu Lucid) --
> apologies if there are relevant changes in subsequent versions.

Very good question.

I think in Plasma terminology all areas which can hold widgets are called
containments.
I had a look into plasma-desktop-appletsrc and there seems to one for the
desktop (has a  line like plugin=desktop).

You could try removing that containment from your config.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring