Disabling plasma desktop background

Stephen Kell srk31 at srcf.ucam.org
Thu Jan 20 14:41:02 GMT 2011

Hi,

Can I turn off the plasma desktop background (i.e. the window that gets
mapped over the root window) without killing plasma?

I want to use plasma mainly for the applets like knetworkmanager, and
don't want to lose access to my plain old X11 root window.  I tried
"remove this desktop activity" but in the case of the desktop background
it appears to do nothing. This is in KDE 4.4.2 (Ubuntu Lucid) --
apologies if there are relevant changes in subsequent versions.

Thanks for any help,
Stephen.