inotifywait -m -e close --format %f

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Jan 18 19:47:17 GMT 2011

On Tuesday, 2011-01-18, gene heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 18, 2011 01:06:45 pm Kevin Krammer did opine:

> > Another option would be to take the KMail.desktop file (which is used by
> > the laucher menu, etc), copy it to the respective user local path (see
> > kde4-config --path xdgdata-apps) and modify it so its "Exec" line runs
> > this wrapper script.
>
> That file should already exist in my user/Desktop tree, shouldn't it? Humm,
> no it's not there, nor does there appear to even be a .kde in ~/user?
> FWIW, this is pclos, 32 bit install running on a quad core phenom.  So yet
> another diff I just found.

The .desktop files are usually just installed globally (e.g. /usr/share/...)
by the respective package.
User local ones are either created by non-root executed installers or when
need to user local modification arises.

kde4-config --path xdgdata-apps

lists a $PATH like directory list that will be searched for .desktop file.

> I have not attempted to do this as yet, not knowing how qdbus would react
> if kmail was not running.  I was considering just putting its invocation
> into the bottom of my rc.local as I know how to do that, and already have
> several such items fired off that way now. That has been done nbow, but
> I've not rebooted.

Ah, I missed that option in my other reply.
Generally a qdbus invocation for a D-Bus name, object path or method that does
not exist will just fail.

There are an exception though:
packages can install D-Bus .service files (look a lot like .desktop files)
which basically allow D-Bus to start an application if the D-Bus name is part
of a call.

As far as I know there is no such file for KMail so a call to org.kde.kmail
will just fail if KMail is not running.
You can easily test that by quitting KMail and running the mail check trigger
command manually.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring