How to use Plasmoid shortcuts

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Feb 23 18:14:15 GMT 2011

Dotan Cohen posted on Wed, 23 Feb 2011 19:00:00 +0200 as excerpted:

> I have the Quick Launch plasmoid in a panel. I have set it a keyboard
> shortcut, but pressing that shortcut does not focus the plasmoid. How
> are these shortcuts to be used?

I don't claim any authority on this, but based on my observations...

Plasmoid keyboard shortcuts should make the plasmoid visible... bring the
panel to the top or unhide it if it's hidden, etc.  (I'm not sure about
desktop plasmoids, whether they trigger desktop activation or not, as I
run a dual monitor setup with one as the "working" display which doesn't
have much on it as it's often covered and the other as aux, generally
uncovered already to a large extent -- maximize only maximizes to the
active one, thus, to the "working" display in most cases.  Thus, I haven't
really tried shortcuts on desktop plasmoids.)

What plasmoid shortcuts do beyond "make visible" appears to be individual
plasmoid dependent.  For menu type plasmoids, the ones I have shortcuts
attached to, it generally activates the menu (be that kickoff, the classic
menu, whatever... I have both setup here as I use the classic menu for its
bookmarks and kcontrol-applet menus, tho I don't actually use kickoff much
except for apps I seldom use, as I have a scripted hotkey-launcher I use
for most launching).  For many others, simply making the plasmoid viewable
is the primary goal as they're primarily informational displays with
limited interactivity.

I suspect that quicklaunch (which I don't normally use tho I played around
with it for this post, because as I said my preferred method for launching
frequently used apps is a scripted keyboard-shortcut based launcher, FWIW
my own script), being primarily icon based interaction, doesn't do much
beyond become visible when the shortcut is triggered.  In theory, it could
"focus", allowing arrow-n-enter based navigation, triggering the
individual icon launchers, but I'd consider it relatively unlikely that
keyboard navigation implementation would be any sort of priority (other
than "bluesky"), the assumption being that you use the right tool for the
job, and while quicklaunch may indeed be a useful tool for point-n-click
launching, it'd make a poor keyboard launcher even if the functionality
was implemented.

So... if you're looking for a plasmoid (or other tool) to take focus and
allow keyboard interactive launching... use something other than
quicklaunch... and without active keyboard navigation implemented in
quicklaunch, "make-visible" is about the best one can expect from a
trigger shortcut assigned to it.