How do I restart KDM?

Geoffray Levasseur jeff.levasseur at free.fr
Fri Feb 18 16:18:10 GMT 2011

On Friday 18 February 2011 06:53:53 Linus Östberg wrote:
> It is possible to reactivate the shortcut in xorg.conf. Otherwise, you
> can restart kdm by pressing alt-e when at kdm's login screen.
>
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 6:44 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc at arcor.de> wrote:
> > In days long ago, it was possible to restart KDM with
> > ctrl+alt+backspace.  That doesn't work anymore.  Is there a way to
> > restart KDM without logging in as root and restart the service?

For me, the cleaner way is to restart it using the init script of your distro.
If you kill the X server (or if you log out) a new KDM instance is launched
using a parent KDM, so, in case of KDM update you can have a parent process
with a different version than the child one... The parent process is like a
deamon that start again the child process each time it's terminated or killed
(and so the X server at the same time if needed).

To restart the deamon (so the parent process):
* on Debian and *Ubuntu: /etc/init.d/kdm restart
* on OpenSuse and Gentoo: /etc/init.d/xdm restart

Don't know for other distro.

Hope I'm clear enough and I've done no mistake ;)
--
Geoffray « fatalerrors » Levasseur
http://jeff.levasseur.tuxfamily.org