how to use addressbook from kmail

Daniel Barna daniel.barna at cern.ch
Thu Feb 17 09:13:18 GMT 2011

Let's assume that one day we will be able to use addressbook entries in
kmail... Now, if I make a contact group in addressbook, is it possible that
when addressing an email to this group, kmail expands it immediately so that I
can see who is actually on the list? To add a few more recipients if they are
not in the group, or remove a few from the recipient list, if I want to skip
them? This was the way pine/alpine worked, and it was really a nice and useful
feature.

Apropos alpine: yesterday I have set up kmail to use my mailbox as a
disconnected imap account. Now when I start alpine, it complains:

[>Can't initialize "{imap.server.com:993/ssl/user=username/novalidate-
cert}Addressbook" (invalid format)<]
[>First msg in "{imap.server.com:993/ssl/user=username/novalidate-
cert}Addressbook" should have "x-pine-addrbook" header<]
[Can't contact remote address book server, using cached copy]

Was it kmail that messed up my addressbook? If so, this is the final good-bye
to kmail - I can't afford the risk of messing up my emails due to an unstable
software.
Any idea how to restore it?

Thanks