Manipulating local maildir

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Feb 11 13:19:12 GMT 2011

On Friday, 2011-02-11, Alex Schuster wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I moved a large mail folder from my IMAP server to my local folders with
> Kmail. Then I found out that I have most mails three times. It's no big
> deal, but I wonder how to find and remove those duplicates. Didn't an older
> Kmail version have such a feature?
>
> There are some scripts that will do this. But here's my question: Would it
> be safe to change things in .kde4/share/apps/kmail/mail/? Or could I mess
> up some Kmail / Akonadi databases by doing so? Will hell break loose?

Don't manipulate files in KMail's data directories when KMail is running.

If KMail is not running, modifications to mail files should make the
respective KMail index invalid (it will then have an older modification
timestamp than one of the maildir directories).
Or you remove the KMail index file for the mail folder that you have
manipulated with an external tool

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring