How to set the KDE path?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 12:59:50 GMT 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:00, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss at iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> In <AANLkTikOpLE7TohYotw8g9zn7dCKVBn0WBOLGWrCdLhf at mail.gmail.com>, Dotan
> Cohen wrote:
>>It is rather frustrating that the Plasma Krunner (Alt-F2) does not
>>follow the path configured in $HOME/.profile.
>
> Are you using bash and have a .bash_profile?  I think .bash_profile is
> preferred by bash (and things trying to emulate bash's behavior) when
> both .profile and .bash_profile exist.

I am specifically referring to the Krunner (Alt-F2) dialogue.

>>So, what is the correct syntax for configuring the KDE path in
>>~/.xinitrc? Thanks!
>
> Don't use that.
>
> If you need to set up global environment variables for your KDE
> sessions, use ~/.kde/env/$whatever.sh.

Do you know the syntax? It is not the bash syntax. Thanks.

> I use kdm-4 and it has this annoying habit of sourcing both may .profile
> and my .login well before the session is even partially ready.

According to the lead Plasma dev, KDE should not source .profile.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com