How to set the KDE path?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 21:06:32 GMT 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 21:06, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2011-02-01, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 18:24, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
>> > That never worked because e.g. .bash_profile is only read by interactive
>> > shells (see man bash) and the shell running /usr/bin/startkde is not
>> > interactive.
>>
>> Of course, .bash_profile is for bash as the name implies. But what
>> about .profile? Would it not make sense for KDE to respect that?
>
> KDE is started through a script called startkde.
> This is executed by a shell interpreter, whatever /bin/sh points to.
>
> This shell might not read .profile, bash for example only does this for
> interactive login shells. Nothing KDE can do about that.

This is the whole point. What does KDE read to set the PATH? For
instance, the path that the Krunner dialogue looks for apps? And why
isn't this configurable in System Settings?

>> > Some people might have had /bin/bash symlinked to /bin/sh and .bashrc
>> > sourcing .bash_profile but of course this is just working around the way
>> > that shell works.
>> >
>> > Usually distributions have some way of setting environment variables that
>> > should always be present regardless of the type of login (local vs. from
>> > remote, X vs. virtual console).
>>
>> That's .profile, no?
>
> On Debian there is /etc/environment but I believe that has been surpassed by a
> PAM module for modifying the environment.
> Use of /etc/profile or $HOME/.profile depends on the shell symlinked for
> /bin/sh
>
>> > Xinit is a way to do that only for X11 based sessions, but again
>> > regardless of workspace environment being used.
>> >
>> > For KDE one can additional use KDE's environment extender mechanims, i.e.
>> > putting a file (with .sh extension) into $HOME/.kde/env
>>
>> Do you know the syntax? It is not the bash syntax. Thanks.
>
> Somthing like this:
>
> export PATH=$HOME/.bin:$PATH

Thanks, but that has no effect in, for instance $HOME/.kde/env/path.sh
which has been chmodded +x and the system restart.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com