How to set the KDE path?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Feb 1 19:06:56 GMT 2011

On Tuesday, 2011-02-01, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 18:24, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> > That never worked because e.g. .bash_profile is only read by interactive
> > shells (see man bash) and the shell running /usr/bin/startkde is not
> > interactive.
>
> Of course, .bash_profile is for bash as the name implies. But what
> about .profile? Would it not make sense for KDE to respect that?

KDE is started through a script called startkde.
This is executed by a shell interpreter, whatever /bin/sh points to.

This shell might not read .profile, bash for example only does this for
interactive login shells. Nothing KDE can do about that.

> > Some people might have had /bin/bash symlinked to /bin/sh and .bashrc
> > sourcing .bash_profile but of course this is just working around the way
> > that shell works.
> >
> > Usually distributions have some way of setting environment variables that
> > should always be present regardless of the type of login (local vs. from
> > remote, X vs. virtual console).
>
> That's .profile, no?

On Debian there is /etc/environment but I believe that has been surpassed by a
PAM module for modifying the environment.
Use of /etc/profile or $HOME/.profile depends on the shell symlinked for
/bin/sh

> > Xinit is a way to do that only for X11 based sessions, but again
> > regardless of workspace environment being used.
> >
> > For KDE one can additional use KDE's environment extender mechanims, i.e.
> > putting a file (with .sh extension) into $HOME/.kde/env
>
> Do you know the syntax? It is not the bash syntax. Thanks.

Somthing like this:

export PATH=$HOME/.bin:$PATH

Cheers,
Kevin