How to set the KDE path?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 18:51:10 GMT 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 18:00, Felix Miata <mrmazda at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Start with http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2011-01/msg00812.html maybe?

Ah, I see, thanks. I did not realise it would be that easy to break X,
in fact it looks like I should have!

> What I've seen of the responses on your quest to solve this disgusts me.

The disdain towards these "users" isn't what bothers me, but the
rejection of the notion that the path should be user-configurable does
bother me. But that disdain shows up in other bugs and feature
requests where users' concern is expressed. That said, I think that
overall Plasma is an amazing example of software and I appreciate the
work that the dev in question puts into it.

> What I do with alien installs is put them in /usr/local/, then start them
> using fullpath of the executable, putting it in a script in default $PATH if
> necessary to ease load on user memory.

I am simply using wrapper scripts to launch the full applications,
such as this Thunderbird example to provide yyyy-mm-dd dates in that
app:
✈ganymede:~$ cat .bin/thunderbird
#!/bin/bash
export LC_ALL="";export LC_TIME="en_DK.utf8";/usr/bin/thunderbird "$@"
✈ganymede:~$

Also, it should be assumed that users _do_not_ have write access to
anything outside /home/user or /tmp. Especially altering /usr/bin
which would affect other users.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il