Kwin: Invert only a single window

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 20:22:35 GMT 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 19:55, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
> Someone else that appreciates "reverse" color schemes, light text/
> foreground on dark backgrounds. =:^)
>
> FWIW, here, not only do I use a reverse color-scheme in kde, but I have a
> privoxy filterset that does a quite reasonable job of giving me a reverse
> color-scheme in the browser as well... as long as the page isn't ssl, at
> least.  But unfortunately for this use case at least (tho good for
> privacy, which I'm also concerned about, so I can't really disagree with
> the trend), more pages are going ssl these days.
>
> Since I recently switched to firefox, I've been thinking about converting
> most of my privoxy filter-scripts to greasemonkey (the firefox extension
> that allows user rewriting of pages, etc) scripts, thus doing the rewrite
> in firefox itself, eliminating the ssl issue.  But I only recently
> installed greasemonkey and haven't really read up on it and thus don't
> really understand whether it's as flexible (or even more so) than privoxy,
> and how much work it'd be to convert, etc.
>
> Meanwhile, there's three smaller solutions, two in the browser, and the
> one you mention, single-window-invert.
>
> Have you heard of bookmarklets?  That's what one browser solution is, a
> bookmarklet that inverts the browser page color... without touching
> images tho, which can be good for pictures but not so good for image
> based backgrounds.  (My privoxy filters eliminate background images
> entirely, thereby eliminating /that/ problem... where they work.)
> Bookmarklets are simply java-scripted generally one-liners designed to be
> invoked as a bookmark.  There's a site with a whole bunch of them,
> including the invert-color bookmarklet I mentioned, here:
>
> https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/
>
> Another browser-based solution is enforced user-selected cascading-style-
> sheet (CSS) based color-schemes.  This solution uses the !important CSS
> modifier to override page-native colors.  Such CSS samples are easy to
> find on the web and some browsers even ship with one as an accessibility
> option.  This is a fairly dumb and static solution, however, basically
> forcing static colors regardless of what the page originally had.  (The
> reason I prefer my privoxy-based filters is that I've taken some time to
> work with the original page colors, so a bright red background is
> rewritten to a darker red, but still red, for instance, and dark blue
> text ends up as a much lighter blue.  So if the page is an instruction
> page using colors to denote warnings, etc, the colors stay basically the
> same, only darker backgrounds and lighter text, and I can still
> distinguish the warnings.)
>
> Finally, the individual window invert shortcut is configurable in the
> same place as the invert-screen shortcut.  Both can be configured in two
> locations, either under the invert effect on the all-effects tab of
> desktop effects (in kde settings, workspace...), or under shortcuts and
> [...]

Thanks, Duncan. We have too much in common, one day I'm going to find
you and buy you a beer!

The "Invert Lightness" bookmarklet is terrific, as it only inverts the
HTML colours but not the JPG images, so the page is still "normal". If
you want to hack this into Firefox than you might want to know about
Stylish in addition to Greasemonkey:
http://userstyles.org/styles/2187/myfavolours-global-custom-color-scheme

Thank you!

--