Kwin: Invert only a single window

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Dec 29 17:55:09 GMT 2011

Dotan Cohen posted on Thu, 29 Dec 2011 18:10:05 +0200 as excerpted:

> How can I convince Kwin to invert the colours of a single window? I have
> been suffering from eyestrain lately at night, and I find it easier to
> invert the colours of the screen, specifically Firefox. However, I do
> not want to invert the colours of Konsole which already has a nice dark
> theme. I could switch Konsole to a light theme, but then I have to
> reconfigure my colour settings and VIM settings, all of which are on
> remote consoles. If I could just invert Firefox, or invert everything
> except Konsole, then that would help my eyestrain.

Someone else that appreciates "reverse" color schemes, light text/
foreground on dark backgrounds. =:^)

FWIW, here, not only do I use a reverse color-scheme in kde, but I have a
privoxy filterset that does a quite reasonable job of giving me a reverse
color-scheme in the browser as well... as long as the page isn't ssl, at
least.  But unfortunately for this use case at least (tho good for
privacy, which I'm also concerned about, so I can't really disagree with
the trend), more pages are going ssl these days.

Since I recently switched to firefox, I've been thinking about converting
most of my privoxy filter-scripts to greasemonkey (the firefox extension
that allows user rewriting of pages, etc) scripts, thus doing the rewrite
in firefox itself, eliminating the ssl issue.  But I only recently
installed greasemonkey and haven't really read up on it and thus don't
really understand whether it's as flexible (or even more so) than privoxy,
and how much work it'd be to convert, etc.

Meanwhile, there's three smaller solutions, two in the browser, and the
one you mention, single-window-invert.

Have you heard of bookmarklets?  That's what one browser solution is, a
bookmarklet that inverts the browser page color... without touching
images tho, which can be good for pictures but not so good for image
based backgrounds.  (My privoxy filters eliminate background images
entirely, thereby eliminating /that/ problem... where they work.)
Bookmarklets are simply java-scripted generally one-liners designed to be
invoked as a bookmark.  There's a site with a whole bunch of them,
including the invert-color bookmarklet I mentioned, here:

https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/

Another browser-based solution is enforced user-selected cascading-style-
sheet (CSS) based color-schemes.  This solution uses the !important CSS
modifier to override page-native colors.  Such CSS samples are easy to
find on the web and some browsers even ship with one as an accessibility
option.  This is a fairly dumb and static solution, however, basically
forcing static colors regardless of what the page originally had.  (The
reason I prefer my privoxy-based filters is that I've taken some time to
work with the original page colors, so a bright red background is
rewritten to a darker red, but still red, for instance, and dark blue
text ends up as a much lighter blue.  So if the page is an instruction
page using colors to denote warnings, etc, the colors stay basically the
same, only darker backgrounds and lighter text, and I can still
distinguish the warnings.)

Finally, the individual window invert shortcut is configurable in the
same place as the invert-screen shortcut.  Both can be configured in two
locations, either under the invert effect on the all-effects tab of
desktop effects (in kde settings, workspace...), or under shortcuts and
gestures (in kde settings, common...), global..., kwin component, toggle
invert effect and toggle invert effect on window.

That gives you lots of ways to accomplish what you are after.  Take your
pick! =:^)