exporting from kmail (Was: Kmail2/Akonadi issue =?windows-1256?q?on=09FreeBSD=2E?=)

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Dec 3 11:39:55 GMT 2011

On Saturday, December 03, 2011 06:23:58 AM Duncan did opine:

> gene heskett posted on Fri, 02 Dec 2011 13:06:19 -0500 as excerpted:
> >> As I've mentioned previously, claws-mail uses a Unix socket for
> >> instance syncing.
> >
> > But where is the sockets # defined?
>
> I don't quite get the thrust of that question, so really haven't a clue
> if the below answers it or not.  First instinct is to interpret that as
> "where [in the sources] is the socket # defined", but that doesn't make
> a whole lot of sense in context.  How/where is it defined in the
> config? Maybe, but...
>
> It's a Unix socket, so it's defined by a path and socketfile name, not
> an IP and port number, so socket number doesn't really make sense
> there, either.
>
> Be that as it may, the socket path and filename is...
>
> $TMPDIR/claws-mail-<UID>

Humm, I have:
[gene at coyote ~]$ ls $TMPDIR
claws-mail-0=

But a cat, or an ls -l fails, no such file
But an 'ls -l $TMPDIR/' shows it as
srwxr-xr-x 1 root   root       0 Nov  3 23:39 claws-mail-0=

So I presume it is usable, by root only.  claws isn't running so should
that not have been cleaned up by its exit code?

> UID is of course the user-id number.  I've no idea what path claws
> defaults to if $TMPDIR is unset, since it's set by my system scripts
> here so always exists in the environment unless deliberately unset.
>
> When I setup my second instance for feeds, it kept trying to use the
> same socket even when I pointed it at a different config, until I
> (think I) happened across some documentation mentioning the socket in
> $TMPDIR (either that or I straced the startup, discovered the socket in
> tmp, and searched for and found the docs reference to it later, IDR
> which at this point), after which I immediately created a wrapper
> script that set $TMPDIR to something else before starting the feeds
> instance, and all of a sudden the second instance "magically" worked!
> =:^)
>
> Now that I've actually run into that problem once, I expect I'll
> remember to check for socket or dbus syncro the next time an app keeps
> trying to use the one instance when I'm trying to create a second, but
> this was the first time I'd run into that problem, so it took me awhile
> to figure out what was causing it, tho it all immediately made sense
> when I did, and I kicked myself for taking so long to realize the
> problem.
>
> Hope that answers the question...

It points out that I don't know a thing about unix sockets I think. :)

Can you recommend some reading, URL style?  For when I can see well.  This
morning both eyes have waterlogged bags under them, but this should be the
worst of it.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
I've always made it a solemn practice to never drink anything stronger
than tequila before breakfast.
		-- R. Nesson