Constant Konqueror icon

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Aug 24 13:36:59 BST 2011

Dotan Cohen posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:00:34 +0300 as excerpted:

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 05:56, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:

>> I don't believe I've ever seen or read about such an option, so your
>> mention is news to me. =:^/ Not that I'd be likely to use it anyway.

> That user is me! I just converted to Konqueror from Dolphin but the
> changing icon means that I can never find Konqueror on the taskbar. My
> taskbar shows only icons, no text.
>
>> You're talking about the application menu icon, in the titlebar, right?
>> That'd ultimately be up to the window manager to set/enforce.
>>
> I am referring to the taskbar icon. I do not recall having ever seen an
> icon in the titlebar.

OK, that explains quite a bit, since one of the first things I did while
customizing kde4 was kill the task-manager/bar plasmoid (called manager
instead of bar in plasmoid-explorer, I suppose to eliminate the ambiguity
between what's normally the panel containing the plasmoid, and the
plasmoid itself).

I've not used a task-manager widget since probably kde 3.2 era, more or
less.  Instead, I use alt-tab primarily, with a task-list popup menu on
the desktop and (with kde4) the desktop grid (now with integrated expose!
=:^) as alternatives.

Since I've not used the taskman for so long (well back into kde3), I tend
to forget about it even existing, unless someone mentions it
specifically.  So the thought of it didn't even cross my mind in my
original reply, since you hadn't mentioned it specifically.  The closest
I could get was the app-menu icon in the titlebar (which it seems you
don't use, isn't kde's customization wonderful? =:^).

That would explain my not recognizing the option, since I normally ignore
pretty much anything specifically taskman related, and makes the "not
likely to use" comment even *MORE* true, since I don't use the taskman AT
ALL.  No WONDER we seemed to be talking past each other! =:^\

> Thanks. I'll look around for similar taskbar options.

Obviously, most of my suggestions didn't apply to the taskman since it's
not what I had in mind at all, but perhaps there's similar options for
it, somewhere.

All the above said, now that I know you're talking about taskman, I *DO*
dimly remember reading about various options related to it in, for
instance, the various kde4 release announcements and covered in the
various reviews I've read, plus the limited exposure I get to it when
bisecting a settings-related bug, thus having most of my settings reset
to defaults, temporarily.  (I really hate that for two reasons.  First, I
can barely tolerate the default color-scheme, which comes close to making
me physically sick.  Second, all my carefully configured keyboard
shortcuts disappear, and the lost productivity is like I'm trying to
remote-control a mars rover or something.  I'm always /very/ relieved
when those bits of the config get restored in the normal bisect process,
and I'm not both attempting to kill the gag reflex at the color and
having to work with the ugliness even longer than normal because it's
taking me longer to get anywhere without my keyboard shortcuts!)

I'm /guessing/ that the option you're referring to might be related to
grouping, since if all the konqueror task icons are grouped into one in
taskman, that one icon can hardly show the individual icons for all of
what might be fifty different konqueror windows, so in that case using
the app icon would make the most sense.  Given that, it may be that
there's an option to use it when there's only one app window open, too.
Of course that's all dim memory and supposition, since I don't use taskman
in normal usage, but I /think/ that's more or less how at least one of
the task grouping options works, in general.