kdepim akonadi questions

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Aug 17 09:07:52 BST 2011

On Tuesday, 2011-08-16, Martin Bednár wrote:
> Le Mardi 16 d'août 2011 14:53:41 Kevin Krammer a écrit :
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > On Sunday, 2011-08-14, Martin Bednár wrote:

> > > However, I have a few questions : how does mail search work? I gathered
> > > that mails get fed to nepomuk, but so far I have only been able to find
> > > mails by sender (sometimes by subject). By subject is quite limited for
> > > me, because sometimes I get mails with diacritics in the subject (ř,š
> > > and
> > > others), yet my main keyboard layout doesn't have it, and I have no way
> > > of searching for those subjects without changing the layout. (I have
> > > hope that kmail search will become more powerful than gmail's, but for
> > > now I can't feel that power).
> >
> > Are you talking about searching (as in find messages action) or filtering
> > (quick search bar on top of the message list)?
> >
> > As far a I know the latter work like before, i.e. KMail looking at
> > subject and sender, while searching is now handled the way you describe
> > (through querying Nepomuk).
>
> Hadn't thought of using the mail search. I thought everything was in the
> filter bar... Very powerful indeed. However, I maintain that users coming
> from Gmail webmail might be disappointed, since there the one search bar
> searches like crazy.

Good point, I am quite confident that something like this could be done in the
future as well.
Or KMail's interface stays the way it is and someone comes up with a new mail
program with different usage concepts. After all any developer wanting to do
that can simply concentrate on the UI and use all transport related things the
way KMail does.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring