Samba shares popping up in device notifier plasmoid

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Aug 17 07:24:43 BST 2011

Martin Bednár posted on Tue, 16 Aug 2011 22:40:50 +0200 as excerpted:

> I have an issue with the device notifier plasmoid : whenever a windows
> PC comes up on my network, the device notifier pops up informing me of
> their shares. Is there any sane (meaning not disabling sharing
> altogether) way of disabling this?
>
> I'm all in for these shares appearing in dolphin/the network kioslave,
> however this popup however gets annoying real fast..
> This started happening after the upgrade to 4.7. Should I file it as a
> bug?

I don't use network-mountable shares (either samba or nfs) here and don't
build-in (gentoo, as I believe you mentioned you use as well) the various
network filesystem components and am thus missing any choices they may
make available, so am of necessity a bit hand-wavy in that regard.
However...

1) Have you played with the "device notifier settings"?

1a) Here, under display, I have choices for removable-only, non-removable-
only, all-devices.  It may be that with appropriate network shares
support built-in, you get options for that as well, or perhaps they're
simply classified under, presumably, removable.

1b) Under automounting, there's also a number of options.  Once a device
has been seen, it will appear in the list, and you can set for each,
automount on login and/or on attach.  There's additional options that
apply to all devices, as well.

2) In 4.7 (and 4.6, IIRC), the "device notifier plasmoid" is actually
available two ways, either separately, or as a system-tray "extra item"
that appears in the tray only if that item is checked (unlock widgets to
get the option) in system tray settings.

2a) I'm unsure whether you'd classify this as "sane" or not, as it
doesn't disable sharing but may still be too high a price for you; as
with any plasmoid (or systray "extra item"), any particular device
notifier plasmoid instance can obviously be added/removed from a plasma
container (panel, desktop, newspaper-view, etc) as desired.  Thus,
removing it entirely should solve the over-notification irritation
problem, but it may not be a price you're willing to pay.

2b) A less drastic alternative would be to use plasma's multiple
activities feature, and have the device-notifier only in a specific
activity, and/or in the dashboard (that being a special case of "specific
activity" if you have the dashboard as a separate activity option set).
(On my netbook with its severely confined 1024x600 display, I set the
separate dashboard activity option, with the dashboard of course easily
summoned via hotkey, and most of my plasmoids including the device
notifier only appear there.)

3) (Gentoo)  As I have USE=-zeroconf here and obviously haven't installed
optional network-discovery utilities, etc, to the extent that I've been
able to avoid them, I know I'm missing certain kde settings (kcontrol)
modules that I had back in early kde4 days, before they were optional (at
either the gentoo or kde levels I'm not sure which).  This is certainly
fine by me, but it does mean I don't see the options that would appear
with them.  I suspect there may be options there related to network
shares auto-detection and popup notification as well.

4) In kde settings (kcontrol), system administration, actions policy, you
can potentially configure the privilege level required for various
tasks.  This is something I've not messed with a lot as I really want to
have read some documentation before I start messing with it, but in
theory, if you set admin mode for certain actions and don't have your
normal user listed as an admin (separate module, still under system
admin, but global policy control module), it shouldn't bother you with
notifications when you're logged in as that user.

5) I'm not sure of the extent to which udisks follows the same rules hal
did in this regard, but at least with hal, once something was listed in
fstab, hal left it alone.  If that's still the case with udisks, you
could experiment with listing the various shares in fstab, presumably
with noauto as one of the options so it didn't try to mount it a boot
when you weren't connected to the network, and then optionally setup a
script or an initlevel that (u)mounts particular shares, if desired.  You
could then run that script or switch to that runlevel via su/sudo,
bypassing the whole device auto-detect/auto-mount functionality
entirely.  Or, set it up via udev/udisks manually, so the plug/unplug
events are taken care of automatically as the devices come and go.
(Presumably in that case, you'd have the mounts set read-only, to avoid
problems with umounting when the device disappears due to network
plugging functionality, so it wouldn't work with network shares you want
to write to, unless you configured a remount-rw/ro toggle script and ran
it to manually set writable when you were going to write to the device,
then immediately set it ro again when done.)