Possible bug in kwin or ??

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Apr 25 13:57:56 BST 2011

gene heskett posted on Mon, 25 Apr 2011 07:09:22 -0400 as excerpted:

> This reply will detail why your bug tracker

FWIW, I'm not sure if that's a general "your", directed at any kde people
who may be reading, or an individual "your", directed at me as the person
to whom you replied.

Just to be clear, I'm not a kde dev, nor a kde member in any official
capacity, nor even am I a dev in general, unless you consider bash scripts
"development".  I'm simply a kde user as you are, and a list regular from
the 4.2.4 era when I first tried to work with the then entirely alpha
(despite claims to the contrary) quality kde4.  I spend a lot of time
reading various sources about Linux and KDE, and run Gentoo, so I might
know a bit more than average about how they work, but I'm still just a
user and sysadmin over my own systems, same as you.

So that "your bug tracker" is as much /your/ bug tracker as it is mine.
=:^\

Of course, the reference could also be interpreted as a back-reference to
my specific suggestion to file a bug.  In that case, I suppose it's
accurate as such a back-reference, since I /did/ make that suggestion.

> leaves a very bad taste in
> my mouth.  If it offends someone to the extent that the bug handling
> gets fixed, that's nice, but this is NOT the first time I have ranted
> about kde's broken bug system.  So with that in mind, RANT MODE ON:
>
> While that seems a reasonable request, AIR the passwd db for access to
> this bug manager seems to be cleaned at 90 day or so intervals.  I have
> signed up, but my passwd written on the wall doesn't work the next time,
> and  when I try to rejoin, it refuses to process the request claiming I
> am already a member.  However, requesting a passwd reminder never
> results in the reception of such a message by me, effectively locking me
> out of the process, so the bug never gets filed. I have even sent msgs
> to admin at kde.org, but that seems to be a black hole.
>
> After a while I lose patience with a method that seems purposely
> designed to prevent/discourage the filing of bugs and just say screw it

Understandable under the circumstances.

FWIW, based on my experience with kde's bug tracker and others, it may be
the browser cookie that automatically logs you in that expires after a few
months.  After it expires, the next time you visit, you won't be logged
in.  If the password you wrote down and the email address don't
correspond... problem.

FWIW, for bug databases at least, I let the browser remember my login info
for me.  Konqueror and kwallet seems to work quite well for that -- better
than firefox does at times, for instance.

The other hint in that regard is to always use the login page so the
browser remembers it, not the quick login that's often on the individual
bug pages, etc, if you're not logged in, because those are individual URLs
and you'd have to go back to the same one to get the browser to remember.
By logging it at the actual login page each time, including the first, you
always use the page the browser is tracking the login info for, and it
works far better! =:^)

Second, again for low to medium security sites (not your bank login, IOW),
the best solution I've found is to simply keep a plain text file with the
login info.  Additionally, and this is IMPORTANT, always type the password
into the text file, THEN SELECT/PASTE or COPY/PASTE IT FROM THERE TO THE
PASSWORD BOX, as this allows you to actually see what you're typing.  If
you type it directly into the password box, all you often see are stars,
and if you make a mistake there you won't see it.  Then you retype it as
you /thought/ you typed it into the text file, but it's different because
you made a mistake typing it into the password box and didn't catch it.
By typing it into the text file, then using the clipboard to put it in the
password box, the consistency between them is assured.  Just be sure to
type the NEW one into the text editor and copy IT over, if the first one
is rejected for some reason.  Actually, I'll often try pasting it
somewhere else too, to be very sure the clipboard contains exactly what I
think it does, before pasting it into the password box itself.

I've had far less password trouble since I started doing that, than
before! =:^)  But as I said, it's not a good idea to use the unencrypted
text file for anything that's REALLY important, bank logins, ssh logins to
your servers if you're not using key-based login instead, etc.  The same
technique can be used for them but you should encrypt the file or
something, just in case.  Then you have to remember the password to unlock
the file, but that's just one to remember, while the file can have all the
encrypted logins you want (well, within reason) stored in it.  But for bug
tracker logins, etc, a plain text file is probably secure enough, as long
as you aren't using the same passwords for it as your really secure stuff,
anyway.

> ATM I don't even know the URL.  Since I changed ISP's about a year ago,
> maybe it doesn't know me and I could join long enough to get the bug
> filed.
> /Current/ URL please?

https://bugs.kde.org

or, simply typing bugs.kde.org into krunner opens konqueror (it'd be
whatever browser you've set as your default for kde) to the correct place,
here, and that's easy enough to remember.