KDE Quality (problems)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Apr 17 18:35:20 BST 2011

On Sunday, 2011-04-17, Peter Nikolic wrote:
> On Sunday 17 April 2011 17:56:53 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Thursday, 2011-04-14, Clemens Eisserer wrote:

> > > No offense, but why at all should Qanta be part of a Desktop
> > > Environment?
> >
> > Good question. Did anyone ever actually suggest that?
> >
> > > I like Quanta, but what makes it worthwile to integrate it tightly into
> > > a DE?
> >
> > I don't think anyone would attempt that, especially not at this stage of
> > development.

> > > So I suppose a KDE frontend will be developed by the KDE project.
> > > Which has to be maintained again, same situation but different program.
> >
> > Not entirely. The shared infrastructure makes it a lot less effort to
> > maintain the new program which is basically just user interface.
> >
> > Basically *the* way to go forward, sharing maintenance load and support
> > of new protocols between various development communities.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin
>
> Am i getting confused here or are you saying  Quanta does not warrent
> integration yet  Kopete or it's replacement does  if so that stinks big
> time ..

No, misunderstanding. What I am trying to say is that anyone would for
whatever reason want to somehow bind their application to a certain workspace
implementation, they would not do that before finishing their application in
the first place.

In the case of Telepathy there might be some workspace components
*additionally* to a traditional application, e.g. to show a list of online
contact even when no chat application is running.

Quanta could of course also provide some additional workspace components, e.g.
a session applet like the one for Kate or Konsole. But again like Kate or
Konsole it will probably not depend on any workspace library itself, at least
I can't see any benefit from doing that.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring