Fade In\Out effect when text changed

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Apr 15 20:56:39 BST 2011

Nikos Chantziaras posted on Fri, 15 Apr 2011 19:40:17 +0300 as excerpted:

> On 04/15/2011 05:35 PM, Дима wrote:
>> When text changed (on QLabel or QComboBox, or something else) KDE apply
>> fade in\out effect You can see this effect in System Settings ->
>> Desktop Effects while scrolling on the "Effect for window switching"
>> ComboBox, for example. So, my questiion is how I can disable this
>> effect?
>> This effect is VERY slow (if you change text on about 50 QLabel's on
>> Qt's wheelEvent())!!!
>
> This is done by the Oxygen Qt style. The configuration options are not
> available from System Settings (I've no idea why.) To get to them, run
> "oxygen-settings" from a terminal. The settings you're looking for are
> in the "Animations" tab. I think the settings you're looking for are
> "Label transitions" and "Combo box transitions". Click the "i" button to
> get help on what each option does.

Thanks for the CLI-command tip! =:^)

There are related, but less detailed settings in kcontrol (wrongly aka
systemsettings).  It seems the kde folks are pulling a gnome and deciding
their users are too dumb to be exposed to the full set of options by
default, so they're hiding them in an off-menu location, where only those
knowing about the command-line app can access them.

FWIW, the (apparently) parallel kcontrol/systemsettings location is (for
kde 4.5+), common appearance and behavior, application appearance, the
style applet.  On the applications tab, if oxygen is chosen as the widget
style and one clicks the configure button, a similar but as I mentioned
less detailed dialog pops up.  Additionally, on the fine-tuning tab, I
expect the graphical effects drop-down sets general not-oxygen-specific
parameters that oxygen in turn uses to set defaults for entire groups of
the settings available in oxygen-settings, at once.