KDE Quality (problems)

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Thu Apr 14 15:29:17 BST 2011

On 04/14/2011 08:59 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 14 April 2011 13:23:33 Billie Walsh wrote:
>> On 04/14/2011 01:45 AM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I use KDE since 1998/1999 with kde-1.1 beeing the first version I
>>> remember having used.
>>> I always found it to be simply the best Desktop Environment,
>>> escpecially during KDE-2.x/3.x times.
>>> Since KDE-4 I am not that happy anymore.  Early releases were
>>> horrible, ~4.3/4.4+ is ok, but still not as solid as one would expect.
>>>
>>> The problems I see are:
>>> 1. Too few developers, too much code
>>> 2. Too short release cycles&   Quality testing
>>> 3. Features count most mentality.
>>> 4. Performance
>>>
>>> I normally wouldn't bother the list with my ideas, however I have been
>>> encouraged to do so.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Clemens
>> I suppose we all have our favorite parts of KDE. For me it's Quanta. For
>> whatever reason the devs at wherever have pretty much decided it was not
>> worth the effort to bring it along with KDE 4.x. There is one person
>> trying to bring it along and I hope someday he manages to do it.
>>
>> Why they decided to kill off Quanta is beyond me, well maybe "kill off"
>> is a bit of an over statement, but it is crippled very badly.
> This thread is a perfect example of how basic facts about KDE are
> misunderstood.  It sounds, for instance, as though KDE consists of a body of
> people who sit in a room and make decisions about what will or won't be
> developed.  That couldn't be further from the truth.
>
> There are thousands of developers, most of which code for fun after doing a
> day-job.  Once you understand this, it makes a lot more sense.  I would like
> Quanta to be ported to KDE4, too, but the truth is that it's a job that
> doesn't appeal to anyone capable of doing it. enough to spend their evenings
> on it.
>
> Then you have things like Telepathy, that are ambitious, and will eventually
> be very useful, but again, the developers are going as fast as their time will
> allow.  The developers of Kopete lost interest in taking it further, and the
> new team wanted to do more, so a new project was born.  That's how it goes.
> Developers come and go.  Life happens to them.  They leave college, get a job,
> get a girlfriend, get married, have a family etc., etc., etc..  Their work
> slows and sometimes has to stop altogether.  They are simply human.
>
> And that's why in FOSS we will always have some beautiful fireworks and at the
> same time some things that make us weep.
>
> Anne

I realize how the "system" works. And I do applaud their efforts, they
do a great job. And, Quanta probably fills a "niche market" so it's
priority is low, except for those that "need" it.

It's just a shame that such a great program is allowed to drift off into
Never-Never Land. You can spend several hundred dollars and not find a
better program.