Question for the old hands, about disks

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Apr 13 16:42:46 BST 2011

Greetings;

As I have gone about preparing /dev/sdb to move the install to it, I have
had several instances where the machine was frozen, usually for about 70
seconds at a time.  Dmesg is reporting that ata2 is being reset, quite a
few times.

This drive might be one of those that needed a firmware update but I've
lost that particular cd.

Speedwise, an hdparm -tT shows it to be less than half as fast as the other
three drives average.

So I think my preps for the move are doomed to failure until that drive is
either updated, or warrantied.

I'll go tour the seacrate site & see what I can find.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)