Another case of WONTFIX

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Apr 13 12:54:22 BST 2011

On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 07:45:40 AM Duncan did opine:

> gene heskett posted on Wed, 13 Apr 2011 01:24:20 -0400 as excerpted:
> > Plus of course the stripped old mini-tower AMD K6-III box, also with
> > 384 megs of ram, but no drives at all, boots dd-wrt from a cf adapter
> > plugged into the IDE cable, 3 net cards.  Generally runs headless as
> > whatever I need to do to it I can do with its web interface.
>
> I'm surprised you don't run it off a burned CD.  Physical read-only, to
> write the firmware you burn a new one, load it and reboot.  Even if it's
> 0wn3d, there's no way to write a non-volatile config, and the media's
> cheap enough you just burn a new one and throw the old away, when you
> update.

1. The last attack vector fix requires an extra iptables rule.
2. For some reason, cdr/dvd drives have a life of maybe a year around here.
3. I have several of the CF cards, and have dd made images of them stored.
4. Reboot time from the cf is decently quick but I can't recall the last
time I did a reboot.

> I'm running a linksys wrt54gl here, running openwrt, bought at the tail
> end of "g" as they were discounting them to clear, making way for "n".
> It works for its job, but it's more difficult to administer than I'd
> like. Mainly it reminds me of why I prefer gentoo over the binary
> distributions so much, and when I upgrade, I'm going to try to get
> something I can easily stick Gentoo on, with large enough storage
> (preferably USB expandable) I don't have to worry about compressed
> filesystems and the like.  I don't care so much about wireless as I
> prefer wired, but several physically and logically separate
> gig-ethernet ports would be useful. (The wrt54gl has separately
> configurable ports, fast-ethernet, but I don't do as much with it as I
> would if it were running gentoo.)

Yup, I have dd-wrt feeding an 8 port switch from its local port &
everything else plugs into that.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)