Another case of WONTFIX

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Apr 13 06:24:20 BST 2011

On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:54:22 AM Duncan did opine:

> gene heskett posted on Tue, 12 Apr 2011 23:14:51 -0400 as excerpted:
> > To Duncan: How were you building it?
> >
> > I haven't built kde from scratch in yonks, probably about 5 years.
>
> Well, it wasn't really from scratch, but I've mentioned several times
> that I run Gentoo, which is famous for being a
> scripted-build-from-sources distribution.

[...]
> It's not for everyone, but for me, Gentoo's about as close to a perfect
> match as I'd ever expect to see in the real world. =:^)
>
> For you, honestly, I'd expect Gentoo's time cost to be more than you're
> willing to pay, it certainly is for most, tho you could certainly
> surprise me.  I could see you doing something like Arch Linux, tho, if
> PCLinuxOS fails to meet your needs at some point.  I wouldn't find it
> entirely surprising to see you becoming a Slacker, either, tho I'm not
> familiar enough with them to know how they stack up in terms of kde age
> (I know they're a kde distro, not gnome).  Somehow, I don't have you
> pegged as the Ubuntu type, however. =;^P

You are probably right in that the several hour build time for kde is
likely not something I'd really want to spend my declining years doing,
other than to prove I could still do it.  OTOH, I might find out I can't
too.  :(

OTOH, I do have 2 machines running a *buntu, my milling machines control
box runs 10.4 LTS and emc does the heavy lifting there.

And I have an old 1ghz Athlon with 384 megs of ram in it that gets fired up
out in the garage, I call it goat because its sacrificial.  It has 10.4 LTS
on it too, but frankly, 10.4 LTS has darned near outgrown the ability to
run on 384 megs of ram.  Coupled with that ram not being interleaved
access, its pretty slow and usually 100 megs into swap by the time I have
called up adept or synaptic to update it.

As a distro, I don't like it, nor any of the others that are based on it,
the all pervading lack of tools to do anything until you spend a few hours
installing them is just the first of many bitches.  The differences in the
user base numbering scheme is a major, MAJOR /PAIN IN MY ASS/.  I have it
mounted as a samba share from here, but while I am logged in as gene on
both machines, there is no way in Gods Green Earth that I can see a neat
bit of gcode while out touring the net on this box, download it, and then
just copy it to that machine because gene=500 here, but gene=1000 for UID
there.  More often than not, I wind up printing the link, carrying it out
to the shop, and downloading it from that machine (yes, there is a 150'
hunk of cat5 running to the backyard shop, can't have a linux box with no
internet connection can we?) but why the heck can't these utils work on
$usernames if the UID's differ?

So thats my loudest rant about the *buntu's.

Plus of course the stripped old mini-tower AMD K6-III box, also with 384
megs of ram, but no drives at all, boots dd-wrt from a cf adapter plugged
into the IDE cable, 3 net cards.  Generally runs headless as whatever I
need to do to it I can do with its web interface.  Obviously only
accessible from my side.  Its obviously the firewall.  And in about 4 years
of running it, no one that I didn't give the admin and pw to has gotten
through it.  And needless to say, the admin username is _not_ admin. ;)
I just ran into a cable router at the neighbors that is hard coded for
admin as the root user.  Needless to say, I gave it a nice lllooooonnng 23
char pw & wrote it down in case I have to go play with it again.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)