KWin window rules, exempting Screen Edges?

Zorael zorael at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 20:11:47 BST 2011

Hi,

I have a use-case that I'm not sure how to tackle.

I'm running Kubuntu 10.10 with KDE 4.6.2 from the backports ppa, and I
have my top-left and bottom-right screen edges configured to trigger
Present Windows and Desktop Grid respectively. Now, I'm trying to play
a fullscreen real-time strategy game (via Wine) that pans the screen
if you hold the mouse at any edge of the screen. These two naturally
conflict, and I end up triggering those two effects while trying to
move the camera in-game.

I looked through the available Window Rules but there doesn't seem to
be one I can enable that disables Screen Edges while this program's
window is focused or fullscreened. My current workaround is to disable
compositing altogether while playing, but that seems like a bit of a
heavy-handed approach. Disabling compositing does not seem to improve
framerate, so I can't use that as justification.

Is there a solution I've missed, or should I file a wishlist entry for this?

Regards,
JR