4.6.2 early report

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Apr 12 09:14:20 BST 2011

On Tuesday, April 12, 2011 04:06:34 AM Duncan did opine:

> gene heskett posted on Mon, 11 Apr 2011 21:11:03 -0400 as excerpted:
> > Be careful with it, and redirect any output path you don't need to
> > /dev/null.  I have contacted the author, a student who was not aware
> > of any problems, advising him that its spitting some bad control
> > chars out that can screw up a konsole session pretty badly.  But if
> > any fresh release is made, I suspect it will be after spring semester
> > has been put to bed.
>
> Thanks for the warning!  You may well have saved me some trouble later
> on when I'm trying to use this thing!  Knowing I'm not the only one to
> have found something troublesome is half-way to fixing it, since I then
> know it's not just something in my usage.
>
> Tho I may well have forgotten the warning itself by the time I actually
> need the tools (you mentioned short-term memory...), at least here, the
> internal mechanism seems to be to put a "here be dragons" flag on the
> thing, and the flag is retained even tho the specifics often aren't.
> When it comes time to actually use the tool, up pops the flag, and a
> google or the like generally refreshes my memory.  Alternatively, I'll
> start troubleshooting, perhaps can't figure out the issue immediately
> but sleep on it or go to work or something, and when I come back to it,
> "Oh, yeah, there was this <warning/corner-case/whatever>, I wonder if
> that's what I'm hitting."
>
> Either way, while I do tend to forget the details relatively quickly,
> apparently enough of the warning flag is retained that it doesn't give
> me that much trouble later, as I can quickly google or reconstruct the
> details with a bit of troubleshooting.

I've been having it keep a local log that will need zeroed out
occasionally, and that looks like this:

Tue, 12 Apr 2011 04:07:30 -0400 <--from a date -t echo
gene <--inotifywait return string
Tue, 12 Apr 2011 04:07:46 -0400
_qe,OhApNB.coyote.coyote.den  <--this is extraneous
Tue, 12 Apr 2011 04:07:48 -0400
gene
Tue, 12 Apr 2011 04:07:50 -0400
gene

Perhaps a better clue could be obtained from a hex dump, but haven't tried
that.  But that explains why I test the returned string for a valid name.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)