4.6.2 early report

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Apr 12 06:05:27 BST 2011

gene heskett posted on Mon, 11 Apr 2011 21:11:03 -0400 as excerpted:

> Be careful with it, and redirect any output path you don't need to
> /dev/null.  I have contacted the author, a student who was not aware of
> any problems, advising him that its spitting some bad control chars out
> that can screw up a konsole session pretty badly.  But if any fresh
> release is made, I suspect it will be after spring semester has been put
> to bed.

Thanks for the warning!  You may well have saved me some trouble later on
when I'm trying to use this thing!  Knowing I'm not the only one to have
found something troublesome is half-way to fixing it, since I then know
it's not just something in my usage.

Tho I may well have forgotten the warning itself by the time I actually
need the tools (you mentioned short-term memory...), at least here, the
internal mechanism seems to be to put a "here be dragons" flag on the
thing, and the flag is retained even tho the specifics often aren't.  When
it comes time to actually use the tool, up pops the flag, and a google or
the like generally refreshes my memory.  Alternatively, I'll start
troubleshooting, perhaps can't figure out the issue immediately but sleep
on it or go to work or something, and when I come back to it, "Oh, yeah,
there was this <warning/corner-case/whatever>, I wonder if that's what I'm
hitting."

Either way, while I do tend to forget the details relatively quickly,
apparently enough of the warning flag is retained that it doesn't give me
that much trouble later, as I can quickly google or reconstruct the
details with a bit of troubleshooting.