kde-open, raise window and switch to desktop

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Apr 1 14:13:30 BST 2011

Daniel Barna posted on Fri, 01 Apr 2011 13:03:54 +0200 as excerpted:

> If I use kde-open to open a url, depending on my settings it may open
> that url in a new tab of a running firefox, for example, etc.
> Is it possible to tell kde-open to raise that window and switch to the
> desktop that app is on, whatever application it has launched?

"kde-open --help-all" in a terminal window gives its options -- not many.

Not that I claim any particular knowledge of kde-open, but no, based on
the above --help-all output, I don't believe it's possible to tell kde-
open to raise the window and switch to the appropriate desktop if
necessary.  That'd be up to the app in question, as well as any specific
window behavior rules that have been configured to cover that app (as
applied by kwin) in terms of focus-stealing-prevention, etc.

Based on your question it can be assumed that you are likely working on a
scripted solution of some sort.  If that's the case, the "wmctrl" package
and binary is likely to be of some help, as it allows scripted desktop and
window actions of various types, including switching to the desktop
containing a window and raising it.  As may be expected, after installing
the package, both the wmctrl (1) manpage and wmctrl --help at the command
line offer details on commandline usage and options.

What it sounds like you may be wanting, therefore, would be a call to kde-
open, likely followed by a call to wmctrl.