Composer/Kmail freezing

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Oct 30 19:04:05 BST 2010

phanisvara das posted on Sat, 30 Oct 2010 21:29:21 +0530 as excerpted:

> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 20:49:12 +0530, Daniel D Jones
> <ddjones at riddlemaster.org> wrote:
>
>> Recently started having problems with Composer, the editor of Kmail.
>> This only happens with the editor when I'm writing an email.  It
>> doesn't happen when I'm just reading mail.  At random intervals,
>> Composer will freeze for anywhere from fifteen or so seconds up to
>> around 60 seconds. When it's frozen, it's completely unresponsive.
>> Moving the mouse cursor over it causes the
>> mouse cursor to disappear, so no window updates are happening.  During
>> this time, it doesn't show up in top (sorted by CPU usage) and the rest
>> of the
>> system works fine, so it doesn't appear to be a CPU usage issue.  It
>> will also freeze for around the same amount of time when I press SEND.
>
> you don't mention your distro, or which version of KDE you are using, or
> where you got it from (repository, compiled). without that info, i don't
> think anybody will be able to help you.

Seconded.

In particular, however, kmail/kdepim are in the midst of a HUGE update
ATM, to use akonadi.  Thru kde 4.4, kmail continued to use its own scheme,
which has known multiple access and threading issues that were basically
unfixable.  kdepim (including kmail) 4.5 has the newly written code to use
akonadi, which should fix a lot of these types of issues, but unless it
/just/ happened, it hasn't been stabilized yet -- thus the release of
kdepim 4.4.6 and 4.4.7 updating the old code while they continue fine
tuning the new code.  (The new code is said to be basically ready, but kde4
has enough of a bad rep from the early days and the kdepim folks don't
want to make the problem worse by releasing the new code as stable before
it really is, so they're being extra extra cautious with it!)

So it *REALLY* makes a difference what version of kde and kdepim/kmail
you're using, the new/unstable kdepim 4.5 code, the older 4.4 series code
with the 4.4.7 update, earlier 4.4 code, or something before that, because
the 4.5 kdepim kmail is really an entirely different product than previous
versions, due to all that new code, while older versions are stable but
being held together with duct tape and bailing wire, at this point. =:^/