Composer/Kmail freezing

Daniel D Jones ddjones at riddlemaster.org
Sat Oct 30 16:19:12 BST 2010

Recently started having problems with Composer, the editor of Kmail.  This
only happens with the editor when I'm writing an email.  It doesn't happen
when I'm just reading mail.  At random intervals, Composer will freeze for
anywhere from fifteen or so seconds up to around 60 seconds.  When it's frozen,
it's completely unresponsive.  Moving the mouse cursor over it causes the
mouse cursor to disappear, so no window updates are happening.  During this
time, it doesn't show up in top (sorted by CPU usage) and the rest of the
system works fine, so it doesn't appear to be a CPU usage issue.  It will also
freeze for around the same amount of time when I press SEND.

My guess is that it's trying to access some external resource and timing out,
but I'm not able to determine what that might be.  Akonadi is running using
the external MySQL server but everything seems to be running properly.
Checking with the Akonaditray "Test" button brings up no errors.  Spellcheck
is working, and disabling automatic spellcheck does not fix the problem.  I'm
not aware of any other external processes that Composer uses.

I tried to work around this by configuring Kmail to use an external editor, but
Kmail still loads Composer.  When it does so, key strokes do not work properly
- they seem to move the cursor around randomly but they don't enter text in
the editor.  Resetting the editor configuration to the internal editor causes
the editor to accept keystrokes properly but brings back the random freezing
issue.  I suspect the freezes and the inability to use an external editor are
separate issues but I'm not sure.

Any help on tracking down the cause is greatly appreciated.

--
"Are we ever our own master when it comes to falling in love? and if we are in
love, can we act as if we were not?" - Diderot